Here are 9 tips for installing or replacing commercial rooftop units:
- Conduct a review of options offered by the top-manufactured brands with your HVAC contractor to select the right equipment and tonnage. Consider how you plan to re-purpose the space served vs. the original design configuration from years ago.
- Compare energy efficiency options, it may be worth it to upgrade to a higher efficiency vs standard efficiency option to get the best value per ton of cooling.
- Ensure fast replacement during an emergency with an HVAC contractor with stocking programs and stand-by emergency retrofit teams.
- Choose an expert to look at overall design to lower costs, and to evaluate connected ductwork design to enhance thermal comfort.
- Assess equipment configurations, electric/ voltage, rigging, structural load. Is the replacement unit heavier? Will the roof support the load without added structural supports?
- Conduct a roof curb evaluation – a “like for like equipment selection” using the existing roof curb can save you money vs a unit that requires a curb adapter.
- Request a certified technician to start up your equipment. The setup of the unit’s controls is critical, and you need a technician with training to work on today’s high-performance rooftops including set up of ancillary devices like economizers enthalpy wheels, and unit mounted controls.
- Plan for maintenance in the 1st year and cleaning the condenser coils on your RTUs
- Select the right specialty filtration options and ongoing maintenance program to protect your equipment and meet every indoor air quality requirement and budget.
Enervise installs and services some of the most technologically advanced packaged rooftop units for commercial use. Learn more about our HVAC Mechanical repair and replacement services.